Thursday, October 18, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

This is my sister-in-law Katie's soup.


She made it for me after we spent the day at the zoo.


I could have eaten the entire Crock Pot of soup.

Everybody into the pool!

But I didn't.

Cut some tortillas into strips and add them...they add flavor and thicken the soup.
Even though I wanted to.


So I came home and made it.

I love perfect avocados.
It's so fall-ish and warm and Mexican-y and yummy.  And low-fat!  Until you add the toppings, anyway.

Start with some crumbled tortilla chips...

But whatever.

Ladle on some soup...

We all loved it.

Add some sour cream...

Almost as much as I love my Crock Pot.

And some cheese...

I'm obsessed with this thing.

and avocado!  Yum!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
7 oz. can chopped green chiles, not drained
15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
11 oz. can Mexicorn, drained
11 oz. can Chipotle corn, drained
15 oz. can diced tomatoes, not drained
10 oz. can Rotel, not drained
1 oz. package dry ranch dressing mix
1 oz. package dry taco seasoning
4 cups chicken stock
6 6-inch white corn tortillas, sliced into thin strips
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped

For serving:
tortilla chips
sour cream
shredded Monterey Jack cheese
sliced avocado

Place all ingredients for the soup, except the chicken and cilantro, into a slow cooker.  Stir well.  Cook on high for 4 hours.  Add the chicken and cook another 1-2 hours.  Before serving, stir in the chopped cilantro.

Serve with chips, sour cream, cheese and avocado.

No comments: