Monday, October 29, 2012

Southwest Quinoa Salad

I need to show you what I had for lunch today.

It was so good!


I'm still so into quinoa, which I have learned is a seed.  Not a grain.  Who knew.  Maybe you did, but this is news to me.  A seed.  How weird.  But so nutty and good.


You see, I have very few pictures of my salad because my children were tearing the house down around my ears.  But my salad was well worth the destruction.

I love salad for lunch.  Salad sans lettuce, that is.


I am also in love with avocados, so I chopped some up and added them.

This is an improvement from last week, when I loved cookies.

I'm going green, people.  Today, that is.


I'll be having this for lunch all week.

Feel free to stop by and share it with me.


And there you have it.

Southwest Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa
1 3/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 cup lime juice
1 T olive oil
1 T cumin
15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz. can corn, drained
1 onion, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 avocado, diced
1 bunch cilantro, minced

Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan and stir in the quinoa and salt.  Simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the quinoa is cooked and the water is absorbed.  Pour the cooked quinoa into a large bowl and add the pepper, lime juice, olive oil and cumin.  Toss to combine and allow it to cool for a few minutes before adding the remaining ingredients.  Check for seasonings - you may need to add salt and/or pepper.  Serve at room temperature or chilled.

No comments: