Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Cinnamon-Sugar Stack Bread

Okay.  I made this yummy, cinnamony, sugary, buttery bread awhile ago.  I don't even remember when...but I do remember the bread.  Quite well.  I wish I had some right now, actually.


Here's where this recipe came from.

Pouring the milk/butter mixture into the dry ingredients.
I changed very little.  For example, I left out the nutmeg because I'm lazy, and I didn't brown the butter.  Because, well...I'm lazy.

Stir in the eggs.
And I have a newborn.

Add a little more flour.

Considering the way my brain has functioned since the birth of Baby Bear, I'm surprised I could even read this recipe.

Place it in a greased bowl to rise...

And let it rise!

The moral of the story is: if it worked for me, it will definitely work for you.

Roll it out...fortunately, it doesn't have to be perfect.
Because the birth of my third child has compromised me mentally.

Spread it with butter.
So the risk is that you're going to look at Joy's awesome pictures and never return to this blog again.

Dump lots of cinnamon-sugar on top.
I wouldn't even blame you.

And cut it into many little squares.
But whatever you do, you're gonna wanna make this bread.

Place it in the loaf pan...let it rise yet once again...and we're ready to bake!  
Cinnamon-Sugar Stack Bread

For the dough:
3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 packet active dry yeast
1/2 tsp salt
3 T butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup whole milk
1/4 cup water
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

For the filling:
1 cup sugar
1 T cinnamon
4 T butter, softened

In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour, the sugar, yeast and salt.

Heat the butter, milk and water until the butter melts and the mixture reaches reaches a temperature of 115-125 degrees.  Add the vanilla.

Pour the butter/milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula.  Beat the eggs slightly and then add them to the dough and stir until incorporated.  The mixture will look odd and like it will never combine, but keep stirring.

Add another 3/4 cup of flour and stir for about 2 minutes.  You want the dough to be sticky.

Place the dough into a large, buttered bowl.  Place the dough in a warm place and allow it to rise for about an hour.

When the dough has risen, punch it down and knead another 2 tablespoons of flour into the dough. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons on a floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle (about 10x18 inches).

Spread the 4 tablespoons of butter on top of the dough.  Mix together the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle it on top of the butter.  Press it slightly to make it stick to the butter.

Now use a pizza cutter or a knife to slice the dough into six strips.  Now cut the other way into six strips again.  You'll have 36 little squares.  Stack the squares on top of each other and place them into a greased loaf pan.  You want to place the squares into the pan like a flip-book.

Allow the dough to rise again in a warm place for about 30 minutes.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  The top will need to be pretty brown to ensure that the middle is not too doughy.  Allow it to rest for a few minutes before turning it out on a plate and devouring it.

No comments: