Thursday, January 17, 2013

Black Bean & Rice Salad with Sweet Cilantro Vinaigrette

This is one of those summer salads that I like to make in the winter.


You know, so that I forget that it's cold outside.  Temporarily, at least.

My kids love it.


But then again, my kids could live on black beans, corn, rice, avocados, onions, bell pepper and tomatoes.

Oh.  I guess that's everything in this recipe.


I taught them to love onions when they were babies.

Now they think onion breath is normal.


And they think tomatoes are "cherries" and pop them like M&M's.

I don't correct them.  Cherry is a cuter word than tomato.  Plus, tomatoes are fruit, after all.


I have no idea what that has to do with anything, either.

The sisters can down an entire container of grape tomatoes before I can turn around, so sometimes I have to make this with the three tomatoes -- er, "cherries" -- that I can squeeze from their little sticky fists.


But that's neither here nor there.  I think you'll like this salad.  In the words of my mom, "have you blogged this??? It's fabulous!"

But then again, she is my mom.  And thus my biggest fan.  So maybe you won't think it's as fabulous as she did.  But then again, you might.


I think I've said enough.  See you later.

This recipe is linked on: The Country Cook.

Black Bean & Rice Salad with Sweet Cilantro Vinaigrette

1 1/2 cups cooked rice, still warm (this is about 3/4 cup long-grain white rice, cooked in 1 1/2 cups water until tender and water is absorbed)
15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz. whole kernel corn, drained
2 avocados, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup chopped tomatoes (I use about a handful of grape tomatoes)

Sweet Cilantro Vinaigrette
1 bunch cilantro leaves (about a cup)
3 T olive oil
1 T Dijon mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic
Juice of 3-4 limes (about 1/3 cup juice)
1 T sugar

Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine.

Pulse the vinaigrette ingredients in a food processor fitted with a steel blade and turn it on until the dressing is combined and it looks like a vinaigrette.  Pour over the salad and toss to combine.

You can eat this immediately at room temperature (my favorite) or chill it first.  This will not last for more than a day in the refrigerator since the avocado will begin to get mushy.

No comments: